Sunday, December 21, 2014

Winter Solstice and a New Moon Too

Hello lovies,

In this post today I am not going to be diving into the controversy of who or when the tradition of Yule started or the 'war on Christmas'. None of the ' so and so stole this and that from so and so.' I'm not saying that I don't have an opinion about those topics, because of course I do. But that's not the purpose of this post, I feel like it would take away from the cheer of this time of the year.

All semantics aside, this is meant to be a joyous time of year, and that is what we'll be focusing on, so without further ado!

It is officially Yule! Also known as the Winter Solstice, the one day of the year where the day is the shortest and the night is longest. This is also the day that we celebrate the birth of the sun. Most cultures have their own traditions from the festival of Saturnalia in ancient Rome, to the Celts celebrating the Goddess Brighid, or the early Germanic peoples hiding inside as Odin rode through the sky deciding who would prosper and who would perish.


Another common theme that you will see is the battle between the Holly King and the Oak King. Rather trying to explain it in my own words as it is a legend that I myself have recently been studying, I found a web page that does a great job explaining. The author of the post is writing from a Wiccan perspective, but this legend is not observed strictly by Wiccans, so please keep that in mind.

From Holly to Oak.

One of my favorite reads this time of year is Yule by Dorothy Morrison. It's a wonderful book full of history, traditions, recipes, and rituals you can do either solo or with the whole family,

One of my favorite traditions is the Yule log. Last year we tied ribbons decorated with rune symbols around the log and let it burn while we watched a holiday film.

Another personal favorite tradition of mine is lighting candles. White, red and green are traditional colors.  But you can use whatever you have. In a lot of places either there is no fireplace or burning candles is not permitted,

So here are a couple of ideas of what you can do instead!

For a lot of folks who don't have fire places, the Yule log can still be used. Take a log and carve three holes to place the candles, and you can decorate the log wit ribbons, mistletoe, pine needles, whatever you fancy and have it be a center piece on your alter or your table. It's festive for the whole season, and will smell terrific!

As far as not burning candles, there are always the little LED tea lights, and while they might not come in different colors, you can put them in different colored tea light holders. I did that for a few years when I wasn't able to burn candles, and it worked just the same.

Now for one of my favorite parts of the holiday season-the food!

Growing up we would usually have ham or turkey, with mashed potatoes and gravy, green been casserole, cranberries, yams, rolls, and sparkling fruit jell-o (my grandmother's specialty.)

All of which were wonderful (except maybe the jell-o, it lost its wonder after the age of nine.) But if you're looking for something a little more tradition for a pagan solstice feast, check out this awesome website a friend told me about during the Yule part she hosted. The Wassail is particularly exceptional.

Next year I am going to be sure to make the Chocolate Yule Log for dessert!

Here are some of my favorite recipes: Yule Cooking.

Baked Spaghetti Squash
Sunshine Skillet Casserole
Buttered Rum Mix
Wassail

That is going to wrap up this portion for Yule, here are a couple of other sources you can check out for some more detailed information. Yule Lore, and Merry Yule.



One really cool thing about Yule this year is that it coincides with a new moon. New moons are the ideal time during the month to set your intentions, write down your goals, and to welcome in all of the positive and wonderful things that you want to manifest in the next month.

When it comes to rituals, they do not have to be elaborate or lengthy; just go with whatever makes you most comfortable, the ritual is for you after all!

Normally when I set out to do a ritual, I smudge myself and the area I'm going to be working in, but since this is a new moon, I don't want the smoke to carry out the blessings along with any nasties, so I'll be using my besome to clear my ritual space tonight. If you don't have a ritual broom to use, you can use a bell to clear your space as well.

I make sure that I am ready and centered. Some times I meditate, or I'll just take a few deep breathes.

I always call the corners: North, East, South and West. I always call my guides and then I request the presence of the the Lord and Lady. The God and Goddess go by many names, I personally like the way that Lord and Lady sound, so that's usually what I go with, but I always let my intuition guide me.

Once I feel that all who are present are with me I begin.

New moons are the time to set those intentions, so I'll have paper and pen with me to write down my goals and heart's desires.

It's important to put the date on your paper and write the purpose of your ritual, something like this will work, but don't be afraid to use your own words-the more of you that you put in, the more personal and the more powerful it is. The Universe is also very understanding, so if you're just starting or you have wording from somewhere else that you feel good about, go for it!

"I accept these gifts and blessings from the Universe into my life, for the highest good of all, and harm to none."

This is what we call an affirmation statement. It helps to breathe life into what you're doing and what I consider to be the greatest form of magic.

Once you have that written down, start writing those wishes down! Make sure you hang on to it though, and as things manifest record how they do manifest as a way of keeping track of the wonderful blessings the Universe is helping you to achieve and provide for you.

The Sun is Reborn and with a Dark Moon, feel the magic and the love that is etched into this time of year.

Whatever you celebrate, may you be surrounded by light and warmth, laughter and love.

A Blessed Yule to you all as we welcome back the Oak King and our Sun.

Brightest Blessings to you and yours,

Thealynn


©2013-2015 Thealynn

No comments:

Post a Comment